For some, filling in that blank becomes an endless process of listing all their shortcomings. For others, the blank is summed up into one all encompassing, very disempowering, and truly disheartening statement: “who am I to _____?” Regardless, these statements speak to how they aren’t qualified to do what God has called them to.
So, what does the Word say here?
- Most of the saints were ordinary men with no formal theological training; they relied on the power of the Holy Spirit, not human wisdom (Acts 4:13;1 Cor 2:3-5)
- Sometimes God calls us to uncomfortable tasks, but he gives us what we need to fulfill them. Don’t run! (Ex. Moses – Exodus 3-4; Ezekiel – Ezekiel 3:1-11; Jonah – Jonah 1)
- God will equip you with everything you need to do his will (Hebrews 13:21; Phil 2:13)
- God will be strong when and where you are weak (Exodus 4:1-17; 2 Cor 12:9 &10)
- Regardless of who someone is or how much education or experience they do or don’t have, it is God alone who promotes and demotes (Psalm 75:7; 1 Samuel 2:7; Daniel 2:21)
- God uses the foolish things of this world to highlight his power and to humble those who are wise by the world’s standard, so it’s him that gets the glory, not us (1 Cor 1:20-29)
And sure, at some point he may call you to pursue more education or training or whatever; but don’t automatically assume that’s his plan for you or that it’s a requirement for Him to use you! And certainly don’t let not having these things at the moment hold you back from whatever he is calling you to do now!
adjective \i-ˈnəf, ē-, ə-\
Simple Definition: equal to what is needed
Full Definition: occurring in such quantity, quality, or scope as to fully meet demands, needs, or expectations
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
So let’s end with some exploration questions!
- In what ways are you relying on yourself to fulfill God’s call as opposed to relying on him? How does this hold you back or make you ineffective in fulfilling what God is calling you to do?
- What would it physically and mentally look like to replace fear with faith in these areas?
- Read Acts 4:13. What amazed the council about Peter and John and why? Who had they noted Peter and John had been with? How does this apply to your situation?
- How exactly would things look different for you if you lived like this statement was true: God knew exactly who he called when he called me; I already possess enough to do what he has called me to and where I fall short, he makes up the difference.”?